GREAT NORTH RUN, SUNDAY 11th SEPTEMBER
Join the University team which engages with
THE BIG ISSUES OF THE DAY!
14th glorious year! – £180,000+ raised to date!
Ultra-generous concessions for students!
BALLOT FOR PLACES NOW OPEN – PLEASE APPLY NOW!
“It is fabulous what you are achieving to lift people out of poverty!”
(Tamsin Fraser, Oxfam)
“Had a brilliant day… for a fantastic cause!” “The Run was a fantastic experience!” “One of the most amazing experiences of my life!” (Past team members)
Run for ‘Drop the Debt, Stop AIDS and Help the Destitute’,
or ‘Drop the Debt and Stop Climate Chaos’
And you will also enjoy a ‘fantastic experience’!
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!
* Have your credit card handy;
* The General Ballot for places is now open – go to www.greatrun.org;
* Click on “Events”; then “Great North Run” [NOT the Great North 10K or 5K!]; then “Enter Ballot”;
Go through the conventional registration process (“Register a new ID”, etc., or use your previous password, etc., if you’re an old hand);
* “Running for a charity?” – leave blank, since this only gives a tiny sample of the hundreds of charities which are registered for them. [It won’t make the slightest difference to your chances of getting a place, which is decided by random ballot.]
* PLEASE LET ME KNOW when you’ve entered, AND AGAIN if you’re successful, so I can arrange for you to join the university team. IF YOU’RE UNLUCKY, ask me if I can give you one of JDC’s places!
* Please commend the initiative far and wide – it’s more fun to train and run with one or two friends.
* For further information, read on below.
* Queries? Just email me!
Dr David Golding CBE (david.golding[at]ncl.ac.uk)
RUN FOR ‘Drop the Debt, Stop AIDS and Help the Destitute’;
OR ‘Drop the Debt and Stop Climate Chaos’.
* Jubilee Debt Campaign (JDC) is one of the most effective movements in history in the fight against destitution and disease, and you can add your weight to it;
* In addition, you will be supporting the fight against AIDS and destitution, OR Climate Change;
* Major national agencies say our initiative is “wonderful… fantastic”, “outstanding”, “hugely important”, “admirable… fantastic”, “wonderful… so grateful”. (Yes, really!)
* “This Great North Run initiative does valuable work and is a credit to our institution. I commend it to the university community” (Professor Chris Brink, Vice-Chancellor).
* “The sort of intelligently compassionate response I applaud” (Professor Sir George Alberti, former President of the Royal College of Physicians).
* Ultra-generous concessions for students – we’re paying out £700+ in rebates for entry fees to last year’s runners, without using a penny of the money raised by the team! (See below.)
* The Great North Run is the greatest mass-participation community and sporting event on earth and is watched live on BBC TV by tens of millions of people. Look for yourself at the pictures on the website and you’ll see what I mean – it’s a truly great experience!
* You don’t have to be an athlete – it’s a ‘run’, not a ‘race’. I did it ‘for the first and last time’ in 2010 to celebrate my 70th!
* Last year the team raised £19,000, bringing our total to £180,000+. That makes us one of the Debt Campaign’s major funders nationally AND would be enough to also prevent the infection at birth with HIV of 11,000 babies!
GENEROUS CONCESSIONS: Ultra-generous concessions for students via rebates on cost of entry (£53.00) of up to – not 100%, but 200% (yes, really!).
EXCELLENT SUPPORT: I arrange advice for training: support for fundraising; social get-togethers; and pre- and post-Run photo-opportunities (usually supported by the Vice-Chancellor or his deputy, President of the Students’ Union, etc.). “Hand on heart, I have to say that David Golding is an inspiration who everyone is ready to follow into the challenge of the Great North Run” (Professor David Leat, Team Captain).
GLOBALLY EFFECTIVE: In Autumn 2011, I visited Africa ‘for the first and last time’, and saw for myself the enormous, beneficial impacts of debt relief on schooling, health care and clean water and the fight against HIV/AIDS. But truly daunting problems remain.
EFFICIENT AND ACCOUNTABLE ADMIN: We deduct no expenses whatever (not even postage for the t-shirts). 50% of all money raised goes to Jubilee Debt Campaign, 10% to the Stop AIDS Campaign or the Climate Coalition, and 40% to UK aid and environmental agencies. [Each runner chooses his or her own agency.]
TEAM PATRONS: The Team’s Patrons are Prof Chris Brink, Vice-Chancellor; Professor Chris Day, Provost, Faculty of Medicine; Dominic Fearon, President, NUSU; and Dr Joan Harvey, President, UCU.
TEAM CAPTAIN: Professor David Leat, one of our elite runners, acts as Team Captain.
TEAM MANAGER: The team is organised by Dr David Golding CBE for Jubilee Debt Campaign at Newcastle University (which is sponsored by the Students’ Union, all the staff unions and the Chaplaincy), in association with North East CALL TO ACTION.
Download Word document:GNR ’16 Recruitment